Supercritical is a new company, we incorporated in January 2021. We commit to being net zero by the end of 2021. Our mission is to help businesses get to net zero and to provide access to high quality, permanent carbon removal offsets. We need to set an example of how modern businesses can and should operate in a climate crisis and we’re lucky enough to start from day one. We also know that by dogfooding our own product, we’ll feel how painful the process is and make it as great as possible. We understand that conventional offsets that pay others not to emit (emissions avoidance or reduction) simply aren’t good enough when we have mere decades left to avoid a climate disaster. As Brad Smith, president of Microsoft, has said, “[P]aying someone not to emit carbon is literally paying someone to do nothing. And we know we won’t solve the climate crisis by doing nothing.” We’re working with our customers to make big changes in how they operate, to reduce their emission sources, and to hold ourselves fully responsible for the emissions we can’t reduce by removing them from the atmosphere and storing them permanently. All net zero scenarios to stay below 1.5°C require carbon removal. We’ve simply left it too long to fix the climate crisis. Carbon removal is now a must-have solution in addition to emissions reduction. Even with conservative estimates, we’ll have to scale up to 8 gT CO₂ removed annually, when we’ve only removed a few thousand tonnes to date. It’s our mission to catalyze demand for carbon removal and help it scale to the level required to avert a climate disaster and we seek like-minded, ambitious companies to join us in our journey.
The commitments we’re makingAs part of our net zero commitment, we will:
- Measure all our global organisation’s emissions, including scope 3, and report them publicly each year.
- We will be transparent about what we include in scope 3 and increase the coverage of our scope 3 reporting and improve its accuracy year-on-year.
- We will abate all possible emissions sources and make all business decisions with climate impact in mind, including non-obvious decisions like our pension and bank.
- For all residual sources of emissions, we will buy permanent carbon removal to neutralize those emissions sources and be net zero from our first year of existence.
- Our CEO, Michelle, will be responsible and accountable for our net zero target and we’ll report our carbon footprint and equivalent carbon removal to our board annually.
- We’ll continue to work with our ambitious customers and help them navigate the ever-evolving world of net zero and carbon removal. The faster we grow, the more customers we help in this transition.